About Al-Baseer Foundation
Al-Baseer Foundation was established in 2012 with the aim of providing comprehensive eye care services to the less privileged communities and thus contributing in reduction of avoidable blindness. The foundation was inaugurated by the pioneer and a living legend of Prevention and Control of Blindness Program (Professor Saleh Memon), 1st National Coordinator and currently Executive Director of Al-Ibrahim Eye Hospital in Karachi.
Since it’s inception, the foundation has been providing subsidized eye care services in the country through it’s eye hospital located in Karachi, primary eye care centers in Sindh province and community outreach activities in whole country supported by generous donors and partners.
Our approach on eye health is to ensure the continuum of comprehensive eye care services available within the country. The foundation’s building blocks are aligned with WHO health system framework and is achieving it’s goal through:
- Leadership/Governance – Proper management team led by leaders to run the departments
- Medical Products & Technologies – Proper mechanism for procurement of standard quality equipments, medicines and consumables
- Health Workforce – Capacity building of mid-level eye care personnel in the field of ophthalmology
- Healthcare Financing – Donation & zakat support for non-affordable patients and minimal charges for affordable
- Information & Research – Annual progress report, research papers, print media and social media
- Service Delivery – Hospital based and community eye care services
Al-Baseer Foundation has recently developed a partnership with University of Lahore (UOL), Lahore to turn the hospital’s Ophthalmology Department into a center of excellence in the region. This has been started under “Comprehensive Eye Care Program”, which was inaugurated by Professor Asad Aslam Khan (SI), National Coordinator and Chairman National Committee for Eye Health Pakistan.
Al Baseer Foundation’s Inauguration Ceremony at Al Baseer Eye Hospital – Professor Saleh Memo, First National Coordinator Eye Health Committee Pakistan inaugurated the hospital in November 2012.
Comprehensive Eye Care Program’s Inauguration Picture
Provide fully – inclusive comprehensive eye care services through hospital based approach and outreach activities
Develop new partnerships with public and private sectors in order to strengthen health systems
Provide quality trainings and develop Mid Level Eye Care Personnel in the field of Ophthalmology.